Saturday, September 20, 2008

Still not home

WARNING - THIS IS A LONG, VERY INFORMATIVE, PROBABLY VERY BORING POST....
Well, I guess we were wishful thinking when we thought he would be coming home this weekend. He's still doing good. He just got a different Dr. that had a different opinion than the one who has been seeing him. The one who's been seeing him from day one went on vacation starting yesterday. Before she left she told us she thought he would be going home on Saturday or Sunday. So of course we got all excited. But the Dr. that is covering her is a little overly cautious. While I appreciate her looking out for my son, I think it's time for him to be home. Basically, he's spitting up when he eats. But he was eating about 2 to 3 oz every two hours and spitting up maybe 5-10 mL. She thinks that is too much to spit up. But when Jared and I are there and we feed him and keep him really still for about 15-20 minutes after he eats, he doesn't spit up. So I argued with the Dr. that I really don't think his spitting up is related to his disease. I told her that I really thought he would eat better at home with his parents being the ones to feed him. But she thinks that is a "red flag" so our hands are tied. Also, the person last night that weighed him put down that he weighed 9.3. The night before he was 9.8. So that was a significant weight loss so that was another "red flag" that concerned her. So we stayed up there all day today and fed him at every feeding. And, just as I thought, he didn't spit up when we fed him. Also, when the nurse weighed him tonight he was 9.7. So either he gained 4 oz in the past 24 hours or they didn't weigh him right last night. The nurse tonight said that whoever weighed him last was obviously wrong. Oh, also she put a call in to the surgeon to come access him. She basically gave him her opinion and she came back to tell us that he agreed with her. So we asked to talk to him. When he talked to us, he didn't agree with her at all and thought there's no reason he should still be there. He said he probably just likes to spit up like any other baby. But by the time he came, the Dr. was already gone and she has to be the one to discharge him. So she'll be back in the morning. Hopefully, the nurse tonight will honor our request and hold him for a little while after she feeds him and he won't spit up. And hopefully the Dr. will read the surgeons notes and see that he thought he should go home. So that may be more information than anyone really cared to know about. We were just a little frustrated today. Our hands are tied and our opinion doesn't really matter. I know I'm not a Dr. but I really didn't think his disease had anything to do with him spitting up. And the surgeon agreed so hopefully the Dr. will let him come home tomorrow or Monday. Oh and she also ordered an upper GI series to make sure there's not obstruction in his bowels (which is what started all this in the first place). And of course, as I suspected, it was perfectly clear. He's just a normal baby that spits up alot. So, I've learned through all of this that it's very hard to be patient and kind to the Dr.s when it comes to your child. I hate feeling like I know what's best for my child and I can't do anything about it.I know that he will be home in the next few days so I'm really trying to be understanding and trusting of the DR. And we are appreciative of all the nurses and Dr.s that have taken care of him. I do have a funny story from today. I was doing the rectal irrigation today and he started to pee on me. It's hard enough to cover it up when I'm changing his diaper but I was trying to put the tube up his rear when he started to pee so there wasn't much I could do. Then he finished peeing and as I'm still trying to put the tube in, he shot poop right out. So that was fun. He not only peed on me today but he pooped on me too. Yesterday Jared did the irrigation and he didn't pee or poop on his daddy. So this little boy is already grounded when he comes home! I'm sure his dad will get peed or pooped on eventually. So, overall today was an okay day. We're getting closer and closer to him coming home. So continue to keep us in your prayers. Also, you can pray for me and have a little more patience with the Dr. We appreciate all the prayers your sending our way.

1 comment:

Those Brumley Boys said...

I have no idea where my sis-in-law found them, but there are things available...peepee teepees! They are great...I think they come in disposable or washable (in different fabric options, too!) Now, the other end...well...I don't think there is any help there except another diaper underneath! *Ü*
Praying for a quick trip home for you all!