Saturday, September 27, 2008

First hospital visit

Well, it was the first since he's been discharged from the hospital. Friday he had a really hard time keeping anything down. He did so good on Thursday, I started to get relived thinking that this reflux thing has passed. But I was wrong. Friday the only feeding he kept down was at 6am. Every 3 hours he would eat and about an hour later, throw it all up. So about 6 that evening I started to worry. His spit up was now yellow so I knew there was nothing in his stomach except bile. So I called the Dr's office and they paged the Dr. for me. They called back and suggested I take him to Childrens to get him checked out before he gets too dehydrated. So we went and man oh man was that an experience. We definitely felt like the minority there. There were screaming yelling kids and parents. One parent was cussing at their child. Another was slapping her child's hand a little bit too hard. It was dirty and all I wanted to do was cover my child up so he wouldn't breath any sickness. So thankfully my Dr. called and referred me so we weren't last on the list. We didn't have to wait that long in the waiting room. We got into a room. The Dr. said he was a little dehydrated but everything else looked good. Because of his disease they wanted to make sure his colon was okay and not blocked. So they did an x-ray. It looked good. They basically said it was reflux and had him drink some pedialite and keep it down before they would let him go home. Well, he kept it down for about an hour and they did the paper work to let us go home. They gave us a prescription for medicine to help with his reflux. Right before we were about to leave, he spit up the pedialite. But they had already discharged us. So we had an eventful night. We left about 2:30 am and couldn't find a pharmacy that would fill the perscription. We went home and I fed him about 4am and he spit that up too. Finally the next morning, Jared went out to fill the perscription and as soon as we gave it to him, he's kept everything down. It's amazing how a little medicine can make all the difference. So he's great now. He's like a whole different baby because he likes to eat. I don't have to fight him to eat the amount he needs to eat and the best part of all.... he doesn't spit it all up. So that was our eventful Friday night

No comments: