Thursday, December 18, 2008

Before and After

Well, it's been a long week. Monday was very long because we had to go through almost 3 hours of waiting for colt to get out of surgery. He slept most of the day and stayed awake most of the night. Tuesday night, he did great and slept most of the night. His stomach was so distended and hard so they are still suctioning everything out of his stomach and keeping him on iv fluid instead of letting him eat. So yesterday was a little depressing. His bowels weren't waking up as fast as we thought they would. Honestly I think jared and I thought it wouldn't take this long to recover. I guess we were just being naive. The positive part of my day yesterday was seeing one of my best friends have her second child. My childhood friend, Amy, was on the floor right above me having a baby. So it was a breath of fresh air getting to see her and her baby. So last night was a long night because i his bowels finally started working. So he's passing alot of gas and since his stomach is getting softer and smaller, he is starting to feel hungry. So he wanted to eat last night so bad but I couldn't feed him. It's so sad! So this morning, I woke up to the Dr. standing by his bed (with a young college student observing him). He said his stomach looked better and was happy with his progress and maybe he could start eating soon. Well, I went back to sleep and woke up a few hours later. Colt had no iv in and he was sitting in poop that leaked from his diaper and his suction was off. So another nurse came in. She seemed annoyed because the night shift left the suction off and took the iv out and didn't replace it. So he missed a dose of his antibiotics. So she said she would be right back in to put in another iv. Well, 2 hours later, I called the nurse. Our nurse had gone home sick. And apparently there weren't clear instructions left for the nurse taking over. So I told her he needed an iv. Now it had been like 5 hours without any fluid. So she came back in and put an iv in. Well, he finally settled down and we both fell asleep. Amy called and I decided to go see her. The nurse said she'd keep an eye on Colt so i could go see Amy for a while. When I came back, there were two nurses by his crib and there was something wrong with his hand. As I got closer, this is what I saw

They infiltrated his vein (not sure how to spell that). Basically, the needle popped out of his vein and the fluid was just going into his arm. His arm swelled up so much and stretched his skin so much that he got several blisters. It looked awful. I thought the nurse was gonna cry. She kept apologizing. I felt bad for her but I really didn't realize until later that she obviously didn't check his iv after she put it in. Some other nurses told me that it wouldn't have gotten that bad unless it was like that for a couple of hours. So of course I feel like the worst mom in the world because this happened when I was gone. So now my child has not gotten any fluid since early in the morning. He hasn't gotten his antibiotics and his skin is peeling off of his arm because it's stretched to the max! So needless to say, I was not a happy mama today. But the good news is, his stomach has gone way down and he's pooping and passing gas like crazy. Also, they couldn't' get another iv in and didn't want to chance it going bad again so the Dr. said I could feed him and they're just giving him his antibiotics through mouth. So my parents came up here tonight and sent me and Jared to dinner. It was nice to get away for a little while. So, now that he's eating, hopefully we can go home soon. Please pray that Colt will digest the milk and poop it out good without spitting any of it out. Tomorrow I'm going to school since it's the last day before the holidays. Jared's mom is coming to stay with him. Thanks so much for all the thoughts and prayers on our behalf.

This was yesterday





This was today. That little stinker smiled at me today which made my day but he wouldn't smile for the camera so this is the best I could get

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad things are getting better! Those pictures discribe how he feels perfectly. I'm so glad to see relief in his face! Now all he needs is a good poop! I will definitely be keeping ya'll in my prayers!!