Wednesday, October 8, 2008

When it rains it pours

Well, I'll start by saying that Colt is fine. He did great in the hospital. The nurse was impressed with how well me and Jared could empty his bag. We were actually pretty bored today in our room. I will say though... Medical City has really good food. Alot better than Baylor. The Dr. came to see us and looked at Colt. He said he looked great and could go home tomorrow. A few hours later we got an upsetting phone call. Jared's papaw passed away today. He was such a wonderful, loving man of God. He has had nothing but encouraging words for us in the past month. He's been having some health problems and finally went home to be with his Father today. Of course we were very saddened to hear about his today but we know that he is rejoicing in Heaven right now. So with that news, we asked the nurse if she could call the Dr. and ask if we could go home tonight instead of tomorrow. She came back and let us know he thought that would be fine. So, a few hours later we signed out discharge papers and went home. We had to make the decision to go to be with the family (they live in Florence Alabama) or stay here. Jared and I both really wanted to go but we both decided it would be better for me to stay with Colt since he's so young and just had surgery. At first we were set on me going because I really want to be there for my husband but we're learning to think about what would be best for Colt and not necessarily ourselves. So keep Jared and his family in your prayers as they will be traveling to Alabama tomorrow. Colt and I will be here by ourselves but I'm sure my mom will come over and help me with Colt.
On a better note, Colt is eating very well and pooping. He even looks a little chunkier already. The whole bag thing doesn't seem like it will be such a hassle. Tonight we started smelling it really bad and realized it was leaking so we had to change the bag. They told us it would last 2 to 3 days. Well, this one lasted a day. So tomorrow I'll be on the phone with different suppliers requesting samples of different products so we can see which ones will work best for us. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow. I'm sure I'll have plenty of time this weekend (I hope you heard the sarcasm in my voice)

3 comments:

GFMouse said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Yes call all the companies and ask for samples they will send them...Hollister & Convetec are two that I remember. It's amazing how quickly they recover once they have the colostomy.There are a few tricks to keep the bag on longer than a day...wash around the stoma with a soap like dove or ivory.Make sure it's really dry...I use to dry it on the cold setting with the hair dryer. I used these barrier wipes too. Then blow drop your pouch the part before you remove the tab, let it cool for a few seconds and then apply it.I also used a pink tape called Hy-Tape, it was awesome to help keep it on.Let me know if you want any more tips.

Unknown said...

Hey love!! I'm so glad that Colt is doing so well. I'm very sorry about your pawpaw. I will definitely keep your family in my prayers! I would love to come see you and Colt soon!!

and yes medical city has the best food!!

GFMouse said...

Kristi, please email me...

saccolonkids@gmail.com

email that adress and I will give you my personal email. I don't want to post my personal email on blogger. I'll be checking it.