Friday, January 25, 2008

Rude People

Okay so I have to share something with my fellow bloggers to maybe make some kind of impact on the "consumer" world. As some of you may know, during the day, I am at an elementary school trying to better our children. At night, I work at the same place I've worked at for 7 years. I won't display the name but I will tell you, it's a bank. I don't know if my irritability comes from working for the same place for so long or if I am in fact accurate in my annoyances. This is what happens more often than not. I call a customer to my line and welcome them, introduce myself, and ask them what I can do for them. This is what I get in return. Silence! Yes, no "hold on a minute" or "I want to make a deposit" or "I need some money" It's complete silence. Sometimes it's a blank stare. So I stand there and for the sake of keeping my job just smile and stare until they hand me a check. Then I look at the check or the check card or whatever they hand me and yes, sometimes, there's still no response. So then I have to either A) read their mind or B) ask them again, "What can I do for you?" And then there's the people who don't smile, don't say thank you and just walk off as if I'm not a real live person. I can't tell you how many times I've said "Thank you, have a great day" and there's nothing in return. This has really begun to annoy me because it's as if we are treated like robots. We're not real people. Sometimes I've seen customers of mine outside of work and they look at me like "what are you doing here? You mean, you have a life outside the bank?" I think the positive I can take from all of this is the attitude I have towards others when I am the customer. I also have to remember Jesus endured alot more rude people than I ever will. So I keep a smile on my face (some day's it's bigger than others) and keep going because I know that "This world is not my home" And lucky for me, I get to go to school and be around a bunch of sweet smiling kids all day. So I guess like everyone else, I have to take the good with the bad. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments: